Apple CarPlay system is a quick and safe way to use iPhone in the car. It allows car radio or head unit to be a display and work as a controller for an iPhone. With CarPlay software you can access your iPhone in your car’s infotainment systems. Further, it allows you to make calls, send or receive messages, listen to music and getting directions. All you have to do is connect your iPhone with CarPlay.
Major automobile manufacturers are currently offering models that support Apple’s CarPlay system. Most of them are partnering with CarPlay to enable the software in their infotainment system.
Features of Apple CarPlay
You can view features of CarPlay by using “Siri” which is Apple’s digital assistant. Apple CarPlay acts as an iPhone for you while driving. It provides access to Apple apps such as Phone, Music, Apple Maps, iMessage, iBooks, and Podcasts. It also allows third-party apps like iHeartRadio, Radioplayer, Spotify, CBS Radio, Rdio, Overcast, Pocket Casts, Google Play Music, NPR One, Audiobooks.com, and Audible.
- Messaging:- You don’t have to take extra efforts in reading and writing. What you have to do is listen and dictate. Apple’s Siri assistant read, write and send text messages for you. Further, it can also reply to the messages you received.
- Calling:- With the help of “Siri”, you can make calls, return missed calls and listen to voicemail. What you have to do is ask Siri to make calls for you.
- Maps:- The Most used CarPlay feature is Apple Map which is easy to use. You can search for nearby restaurants, shops etc. or you can simply use your voice. The driver can say “Siri, get direction to cafe Night” or you can say “Siri, where’s the closest petrol pump station?” and Siri will obey your orders. CarPlay Siri assistant provides you with accurate information.
- Music:- You can listen to the music or podcasts by accessing all your songs from iTunes. The CarPlay system arranges songs systematically for you. You have to ask Siri to play your favourite songs.
- Other apps:- In you CarPlay system, you can use other apps on your iPhone like WhatsApp, podcast,iHeartRadio, vox, Google Play Music, Spotify, Clammr, etc. It also supports apps developed by car manufacturers.
iPhones compatible with Apple CarPlay
To use this facility, you need iPhone 5 and later models with at least iOS 7.1. Following are the iPhone versions that are compatible with CarPlay.
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE, iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5c, iPhone 5